This is the first recipe that we will be sharing with you. I thought we would start with a nice simple recipe and also one that Loki goes BANANAS for!!
These treats have just four ingredients, all of which are very easy to get hold of!
- Tuna (tinned in spring water – best to avoid oil)
- Flour (we used coconut flour)
For this batch of treats I used one tin of tuna in spring water, three medium sized bananas, a few spoons of coconut flour and one egg.
The great thing about this recipe is that none of the ingredients are particularly overpowering or expensive so you can vary the amounts. I had 3 bananas, a tin of tuna and an egg to use up so that’s what I used! Amber was there to quality check the ingredients!
To make the treats I did the following:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Put the egg, bananas and tuna into a food processor.
- Mix until the mixture is smooth.
- Add a few spoons of flour, again until you are happy with consistency, for me this was a fairly smooth paste (not too runny and not too sticky!)
- Spoon the mixture into your moulds
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly and put in dehydrator at 70 degrees.
- Dehydrator for 8-10 hours.
- Remove on from the dehydrator, allow to cool and see if it meets your dog’s desired crunchiness (if soft put back in dehydrator for a little longer)
- Treat your dog!
It’s as simple as that. I made a variety of small training treats and small bone-shaped treats. I removed the bone shaped treats from their moulds after about an hour in the dehydrator but kept the training treats in their moulds because they could fall through the gaps in the dehydrator.
That small amount of ingredients gave us a decent amount of treats, we know exactly what’s in them and it only cost us less than £1.75. And, for me, most importantly there is no plastic waste. I bought the bananas loose, the tuna tin and egg carton was recycled and flour is bought from a zero-waste shop!
Hope you enjoyed this recipe. it would be great to hear how you get on!